Monday, January 4, 2010

Well Come 2010

Dear Little Dobbes,

Yes, it has indeed been a while since this Mummy penned down the things that Little White Dobbes has been up to. And bearing in mind that all this is for Dobbes, I have been awfully remiss in my diary duties.

I promise you, Dobbes that in 2010, you will have at least one update a week. *cross my heart*

Now that that's been declared, there's no way out of it for me!

What have you and we been up to so far? So many adventures, new joys and learnings.

We have taken to bringing you out for frequent walks in the grounds of our lovely little new estate. At 13 months, you are romping and running and have proven yourself to be a strong, active little tot; always climbing up and down steep stairs – all by yourself too! – and slopes are now your new best friend. Perhaps the most inspiring thing you have shown Mummy is how swiftly you always get up after falling down, without wasting time on tears or looking back. If there is anything that I hope will remain with you as age takes over, is this same sense of perseverance and willingness, never to let mishaps or difficulties confound you when the only thing that is important is the next step you take.

You now need three or four baths and showers a day because you sweat so much, your preference is always for the physical. You are still refusing to talk properly, although you babble constantly and I know you understand every word I say. When I reprimand you for violent play or your stubborn little ways, the depth of emotion in your eyes tell me that you are processing, acclimatizing yourself to my tone of voice and different ways of being. I only wish that I could be good enough to show you and guide you in being a good person, and a truly confident individual without breaking your spirit or interfering in your process of discovery.

Being with you now has come into a new phase of learning and commitment. The more you are able to do for yourself, the more I grapple with my responsibilities and abilities as a parent and I question myself. Although love comes naturally, good parenting doesn’t. I just want you to know now and forever that although I may not have all the answers, you should never feel afraid to come to me with your questions, your thoughts and your fears. Because even though we will both make mistakes, I know nothing can change how I feel about you.

So go on walking, go as far as you can, get up when you fall and then keep going. I may not always walk by your side and there will be a time where you will outrun me and have to leave me behind. But until then, I promise that I will be there to comfort you when the road is tough and you can count on me to be your biggest cheerleader.

Love,

Mum

No comments: