Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"You're Keyaan, right?"

Yesterday, your Atuk and Bibik and I were at NUH for my annual check up with Dr Chong (just to make sure all the plumbing is in good working order ...) and he asked me if I was planning for another baby this year.

"Yes, but we're not planning," I told him.

He raised his eyebrows. "Well, that's good of course," he said. "I thought the first labour might have put you off for a while."

"No, why would it?"

"Well, it was pretty long."

It was a 24 hour labour, but I had only decided to check in at that point in time because I was up-chucking my guts every 20 minutes. And no one had pre-empted me on that being a normal part of labour.

"There have been longer labours by others," I shrugged. Doc agreed. "Besides, I was glad that I waited it out and didn't do anything in a hurry. Because of that I got the natural birth I wanted. I would say, all in all, it was a pretty great experience, giving birth!"

And it was. Being back at NUH, even if for a routine check-up, reminded me of the earliest days of you being in my life. Without a doubt, the day you were born and the hours that followed were the happiest times that Mobbes and I have spent together, the "high" of which was incomparable to anything else.

Apparently, you and someone else remembered something of those days too.

When I completed the check-up, I went out to the lobby to look for you guys. You were running around, being chased by Bibik and Atuk was taking a break, texting someone on his iPhone.

"The funniest thing happened just now," remarked Atuk to me as he put away his mobile. "Keyaan was tired out from running around and was sitting quietly beside me on the sofa. Then two nurses appeared in front of us, talking to each other. Keyaan just kept staring and frowning at one of the ladies!"

"And then?" I asked, wondering where all this was going.

"The nurse who was talking actually stopped when she realised Keyaan was staring at her. Then she turned to him and said, "This baby is just staring at me! I think I know who he is. Lemme, guess, his name is "Keyaan", right?" I was so shocked!"

So was I. "What?! Who is she?"

Atuk said the nurse also remembered that Keyaan's mother's name was "Ana" and apparently, he was one of the babies under her care when he was born there, more than A YEAR ago!

"And Keyaan would just not stop staring at her. Like he remembered exactly who she was as well!"

I don't know if this nurse recognises all of the babies she has helped deliver and remembers all of their names and the names of their mothers. But I'm sure not surprised that you were special enough for her to remember you, Dobbes.

And I guess you must have remembered something about that special time too. :)

No comments: