Wednesday, April 21, 2010

When Bibik's away...

I've always thought that a mother's toughest challenge this day and age is not to lose touch with her child growing up. Working a full-time job, no matter how hands-on I try to be, ultimately I miss out on something while I am away at work.

Then there is that challenge of staying engaged with him after a day's work, when I honestly just feel like zoning out and doing nothing more invigorating than stare at the ceiling.

But there is simply nothing more enlightening than spending a full day at home with your little one. And I mean, no distractions, no going out on playdates or walking around in a mall with baby sleeping in the stroller.

What I am reminded of time and time again is what a humbling experience it is to be a Mom. Because you are in the presence of someone who is discovering things at a rate beyond what you can now ever hope to achieve yourself.

That is the most powerful thing I learn from you Dobbes, that I only get to experience when I am present with you, not away at or tired from work. Otherwise, I just take for granted that, of course you will learn new things and say new words, after all you're growing up aren't you?

But to be there as witness to your acts of discovery makes me want to learn along with you, and be better myself at being open and seeking.

**********

Dobbes reaches out furiously as usual to grab his sippy cup, just beyond reach.

"Uhhh, Unnnnghhhh!!!!" are his usual methods of making demands. It doesn't matter what he is asking for.

"Dobbes, if you want a drink of water, please ask for it," I said carelessly.

Dobbes gave me a look, then wailed, "Waaaaa-teeeerrrrr! Waaaaaa-teeeeerrrr!!!!"

Now, whenever we say "water" he will chime in loudly as well.

"WAAAAA-TTTTTEEEEEERRRRRR!"


**********

Not having been acquainted closely with Dobbes' routine during the day, it amazed me to know that he will reach for the bidet as I take off his diapers in the bathroom to clean him.

He will also race ahead of me into the room and position himself on the bed to receive his bottle of milk when it's "my milk" time. Once done, he will give me the bottle, burp, flop over on his front and go to sleep.


Bibik being away has not really hit him very hard. He does not miss her especially, although once or twice he looked a little confused, as if he had misplaced something very important. But he has not gone moody or off his food.

Instead, he seems to relish having his parents attentively around him 24/7.

**********

Mobbes is clearing leave and at the same time taking on stay-at-home-Dad duties since I'm at work the whole day.

I think he's already lost a little bit of weight, cooking Dobbes food, cleaning the house and most of all through chasing Dobbes around the apartment.

The boys have a nice time with the women away from the house. They burp, dig their noses and read comics in peace, both lying down on their stomachs on the bedroom floor: Mobbes with his Marvel characters and Dobbes with his new flipbooks on Things That Move.


**********

No comments: