Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Eat, Drink, Mom, Baby

Dobbes has been feeding himself during dinnertime and sometimes lunch also for slightly more than a month now. He is 19 months old.

Some findings:

1. He eats faster on his own than when we try to feed him. Like 45 minutes faster.

2. He loves food. All of him. Even his hair and clothes.

3. He is very imaginative and picks up on things quickly. After seeing the kompang performance for the first time in his life at a friend's wedding last Sunday, he has started to use his plate to imitate the percussive instrument.

4. He loves penne carbonara. With full-fat cheese.

5. He can eat dinner after eating dinner.

6. They don't make "learning-to-feed-myself" spoons for babies in anything but metal. Why is this so?! My Mum-in-law gave me this spoon, which in terms of shape, is great for him:



I have been trying to find a plastic/rubber version of this. searched in Mothercare, Kiddy Palace, Ikea and many other kiddy sections of department stores to no avail. If anyone has any leads for me I'd appreciate it.

In line with the other aspects of Dobbes' learning and development (playschool, enrichment class, Chinese language skills), we have been bucking up. Somewhat. Mobbes manfully makes it a point to converse only in Chinese to Dobbes (this elicits varied responses ranging from laughter to disbelief and suspicious confusion) while I grab him for a reading session every week and began colouring yesterday (he ate the crayons and I had to dig the pieces out of his mouth with my fingers. I don't know if he swallowed anything but doesn't seem worse for wear).

Dobbes preferences seem to be rambunctious living room soccer (with Mummy, not Daddy), playing camping underneath the comforter and manipulating keropok out of unwitting victims in between mealtimes.

We live in hope and love.

No comments: